The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Cannot restore from the snapshot of a database that has linked clones which were deleted, restored, or refreshed in vFabric Data Director (2030671)
You experience these symptoms in vFabric Data Director:
- If the parent database has linked clones that are deleted, refreshed, or restored, snapshots of the parent database become invalid for restore
- Restoring from the snapshot of a database which has linked clones that were deleted, restored, or refreshed fails
- You see the error:
Failed to execute vCenter Server command: Invalid configuration for device '0'
To workaround this issue:
- Stop the database from Data Director.
- Log in to the vSphere Client as the admin user.
- Migrate the database virtual machine to another host in the same ESXi cluster in the same resource pool.
- Restart the database from Data Director and then retry the failed operation.
To prevent this issue from occurring, instead of using snapshots as the backup solution, use the External Backup option in vFabric Data Director. The External Backup option provides best protection for databases against both storage and logical failure, especially when you are using linked clones.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.