The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Using Heartbeat across a WAN with Windows DNS (2030604)
- When performing a switchover in a WAN configuration, the protected services may fail to start
- The Public DNS service name fails to update
- The DNS Servers are running Windows 2008 or later
- Download the updated DNSUpdate package attached to this article:
- If Heartbeat is running on a 32-bit operating system: DNSUpdate 32-Bit 01.06.02.zip
- If Heartbeat is running on a 64-bit operating system: DNSUpdate 64-Bit 01.06.02.zip
Note: By default, this directory is C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat\R2\Bin.
Once the updated DNSUpdate files are in place, follow these steps to ensure DNS update tasks are successful:
- Ensure that the DNSUpdate (Primary and Secondary) tasks in the Heartbeat Console are set to run this command:
"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat\R2\Bin\dnsconftool.exe" -auto
Note: This path may vary if Heartbeat was not installed in the default location.
- Ensure that both nodes are configured to use Windows DNS Servers in the Network Adapter configuration.
- Ensure that the DNSUpdate task is configured to run as a user with full security permissions to update the Windows DNS Server (that is, a user in the Active Directory DnsAdmins group).
- As updating the DNS Server requires elevation, turn off Windows UAC on both nodes.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.