The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
vSphere Replication fails with the error: Unknown controller type (2030526)
- Protecting a virtual machine using vSphere Replication and VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.x fails
- You see the error:
Unknown controller type
com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.device.VirtualSCSIController' fod disk '[datastore]/vmname/diskname.vmdk
The issue occurs when the VMDK descriptor has an entry similar to:
ddb.adapterType = "legacyESX"
The legacy ESX adapter type is not supported after VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 2.
To resolve this issue, change the adapter type.
To change the adapter type:
- Power off the virtual machine
- SSH into the ESX host. For more information, see Connecting to an ESX host using a SSH client (1019852).
- Edit the VMDK descriptor and change ddb.adapterType to something else. For example:
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
- Power on the virtual machine.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.