The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Managing SSL Certificates in VMware View 5.1 using an internal Microsoft Certificate Authority (2020913)
- Windows Domain Controller with these roles installed:
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Certification Authority
- Certification Authority Web Enrollment
- A certificate template for enrolling certificates
Opening the Certificates Management Console
- In the Connection Server, click Start, type mmc, and click OK.
- Click File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
- Select Certificates and click Add.
- Select Computer account and click Next.
- Select Local computer and click Finish > OK.
Requesting a new certificate
- Expand Certificates and click Personal.
- Under Object Type, right-click and select All Tasks > Request New Certificate.
- Read the information on certificate enrollment and click Next.
- Click Active Directory Enrollment Policy > Next.
- Select the template for certificate enrollment and click Details > Properties.
Note: Ensure you choose the Windows Server 2003 certificate template option. Do NOT choose Windows Server 2008.
For information on creating a certificate template, see the Microsoft Technet article Creating Certificate Templates.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of October 31st, 2012. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- Click the General tab.
- Under Friendly name, type vdm.
- Click the Private Key tab.
- Click the arrow next to Key options and select the Make private key exportable option.
- Click OK > Enroll.
- Click Finish.
- Restart the Connection Server service.
- If you use any browser other than Internet Explorer to access the View Administration console, you must add an exception for the connection to be trusted.
- It may take a few minutes for the certificate to be recognized as valid in the View Administration console.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.