Windows guest operating system exhibits performance issues due to high memory usage by the PFN database (2020846)
- Windows Task Manager reports high CPU utilization
- Windows guest operating systems exhibit performance issues due to high memory usage by PFN database
- You do not notice any issue in esxtop and all parameters are reported to be normal
- Only virtual machines with hot add memory are affected
VMware has set a maximum value for hot add memory. By default, this value is 16 times the amount of memory assigned to the virtual machine. For example, if the virtual machine memory is 2 GB, the maximum value for hot add memory is 32GB (2x16).
To set this parameter:
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Click Options > General > Configuration Parameters.
- Click Add Row.
- Under Name, type memory.maxgrow in the Value field and enter any value between 2 and 16.
For example, if this value is set it to 2, a virtual machine with 8GB of memory can grow up to 16GB without powering off the virtual machine.