The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Resetting an Organization network fails with error: Invalid or exceeds the maximum number of characters permitted (2020827)
- Resetting an Organization or vApp network fails
- You see the error:
Failed to redeploy shield appliance
-HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Code : 70509, Description : Unable to create vShield Edge VM
- When deploying the vShield Edge OVF in vCenter Server, you see an error similar to:
vse-long network name (f7979fbb-7458-4380-a92a-81dbdf699da1).updated' invalid or exceeds the maximum number of characters permitted.
This issue occurs if the deployed OVF file exceeds the 28 character length enforced by vCenter Server.
This is a known issue with vCloud Director 1.5.x. This issue is resolved in vCloud Director 5.1.x.
To download vCloud Director 5.1.x, see the VMware Download Center.
To work around this issue when you do not want to upgrade, reduce the length of the network name.
To shorten the network name:
- Snapshot the vShield Manager virtual machine before making any changes to the database. Do not skip this step.
- Change the name of the Organizational Network in vCloud Director to less than 28 characters.
- Log in as root to the vShield Manager server.
- From the prompt, run these commands:
su - secureall
mysql -u root -p mysql secureall
mysql> select name from EDGE_APPLIANCE
- The results list the name of all deployed Edge appliances. Update the name of the vShield Edge appliance using the shortened Organizational Network name.
mysql> update EDGE_APPLIANCE set name="vse-shorter network name (f7979fbb-7458-4380-a92a-81dbdf699da1)" where name="vse-long network name (f7979fbb-7458-4380-a92a-81dbdf699da1)
- Exit from MySQL and the console, then restart the vShield Manager.
- Reset the Organizational Network from vCloud Director.
- Snapshot the vShield Manager virtual machine before making any changes to the database.
- A short network outage occurs in the organization while the network is reset. vShield Manager is unavailable to vCloud Director during the reboot.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.