Licensing VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator (2020519)
Infrastructure Navigator offers application context to the virtual infrastructure administrators to monitor and manage the virtual infrastructure inventory objects and actions. Administrators can use Infrastructure Navigator to understand the impact of the change on the virtual environment in their application infrastructure.
Infrastructure Navigator Licensing
If you deploy the Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance on vCenter Server, the virtual appliance is deployed without a license key. As a result, application discovery is disabled. You must enter a valid license key to start the application discovery process.
After you enter a valid license key, the Infrastructure Navigator monitors the number of virtual machines discovered by Infrastructure Navigator with regards to the number of virtual machines allowed. You can acquire a license depending on the number of virtual machines and applications running in your environment.
Licensing in Linked Mode Environment
In a Linked Mode environment, you may encounter one of these situations while entering license key for the Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance.
- If you log in to any of the vCenter Server that is in Linked Mode and if it displays all instances of Infrastructure Navigator in the licensing screen, you need only a single log in to apply the licenses.
- If you log in to vCenter Server that is in Linked Mode and if it displays the instance of Infrastructure Navigator specific to that particular vCenter Server, a separate login is needed for every vCenter Server that has an Infrastructure Navigator instance.
Applying Infrastructure Navigator License
Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance is deployed without a license key. You must apply the license key to start the application discovery process.
Note: Deploy the Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance on vCenter Server.
To license Infrastructure Navigator:
- Log in to the vSphere Client as an administrator.
- Navigate to View > Administration > Licensing.
- Select the Asset option.
- Double-click the Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance.
- Select the Assign a new license key to this solution option.
- Click Enter Key.
- Type a valid license key and an optional label for the new license key and click OK.
- Click OK.
The license key is applied for the Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance. You can now start the discovery process.
Evaluation License for Infrastructure Navigator
The evaluation license of Infrastructure Navigator is time based and is preset to expire in 30 days. If you apply an evaluation license for Infrastructure Navigator, every time you log in to the vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client, an alert warning with the number of days left for the license to expire is displayed.