The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Migrating your deduplicated (Dedupe) datastore (CIFS and VMDKs) with VMware Data Recovery (vDR) (2016557)
These steps assume that the vDR appliance only has 1 CIFS datastore attached, if you have more than one dedupe attached, you need to modify these steps to suit your environment. This also assumes that no other backup windows or operations are being performed, or will be performed on the appliance as this process results in shutting down the vDR service for the duration of the dedupe migration.
Caution: Before performing this operation you should ensure that you have a valid backup of your CIFS dedupe data which has been verified with md5sum or some other form of checksum.
- Power off the virtual appliance.
- Add a disk to the virtual appliance, it should be below 1TB, and be able to house the CIFS data plus 20% for growth.
- Power on the vDR appliance
- Connect the vSphere Client to vCenter Server and open the vDR plugin
- Click on Configuration, then Destinations
- Click /dev/sdb/, then click Format", and click OK.
- Connect to the console of the appliance ( root/vmw@re).
- Shut down the vDR service:
# service datarecovery stop
- Navigate to the new VMDK dedupe datastore:
# cd /SCSI-0\:1/
- Copy the data from the CIFS dedupe, to this directory.
- Start the vDR service
# service datarecovery start
- Reconnect the plugin to the appliance, click on the Restore tab. You should see that the Backup Location is now /SCSI-0:1/.
Note: If there are no restore points for SCSI-0:1:
- Console into the appliance
- Stop the data recovery service
- Navigate to the broken dedupe
# cd /SCSI-0\:1/
- Delete the VMwareDataRecovery directory
- Repeat steps 10-12
- Click on the Configuration tab, then on Destinations.
- Click on the CIFS export, and click Unmount.
- Run an integrity check on the dedupe. Ensure that this process completes successfully.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.