The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Converting a Linux virtual machine using vCenter Converter fails with error: Device or resource busy (2016112)
This issue occurs if a file size reported within the operating system of the source Linux operating system is inaccurate. Specifically, In Red Hat Enterprise and Fedora version 4.x operating systems, this may be caused by the /var/log/lastlog file..
The /var/log/lastlog file is used to store information about successful logins to the operating systems. In earlier versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora 4.x, the file size can be misrepresented if this file is corrupted.
This issue is resolved in recent versions of Red Hat and Fedora. For more information and a patch to resolve this issue, contact Red Hat.
To workaround this issue:
- Log in to the operating system as the root user.
- Change directory to /var/log using this command:
- Verify if the lastlog file is excessively large. To verify this, view the folder contents using this command:
- Run this command to delete the lastlog file:
- Run this command to create a new lastlog file:
- Retry the conversion.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.