The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
vMotion of Windows virtual machine fails at 63% with the error: Source detected that destination failed to resume (2015595)
- vMotion of Windows (Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2008, Windows Vista) virtual machines running virtual machine hardware version 8 fails at 63%.
- You see the error:
Source detected that destination failed to resume. Module Migrate power on failed. vMotion migration failed. The checkpoint data length (16384 bytes) or the offset (16776449 bytes) exceeds the maximum checkpoint data length (16777216 bytes).
- The guest operating system is using the WDDM driver (Windows 7, Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2008, Windows Vista).
- This occurs whether using High or Standard priority vMotion.
- The resolution of the virtual machines is higher than 1280x1024, or smaller if you are using a second screen.
To work around this issue on an earlier version of ESXi 5.0, reduce the screen resolution on the virtual machine to 1280x1024:
- Right-click the desktop of the virtual machine.
- Click Properties > Settings.
- Reduce the resolution to 1280x1024 or lower.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.