The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to edit the settings of a virtual machine that is a member of a Datastore Cluster in VMware vCenter Server 5.0.x and 5.1 (2013820)
- You are unable to edit the settings of a virtual machine that is a member of a Datastore Cluster by using a user account that does not have the Configure a datastore cluster permission in vCenter Server.
- You see the error:
Permission to perform this operation was denied.
You do not hold privilege "Datastore cluster > Configure a datastore cluster" on Datastore cluster "Cluster Name"
- Using the same user account with the same role, you are able to edit the settings of virtual machines that are not a member of a Datastore Cluster.
- Cannot edit the settings of a virtual machine that is a member of a Datastore Cluster.
This issue is resolved with the VMware vSphere Client 5.0 Update 2 Build 1040384 release and the vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 release.
This is a known issue affecting VMware vCenter Server 5.0, 5.0 Update 1, and VMware vCenter Server 5.1.
To workaround this issue, try one of these options:
- Assign the Configure a datastore cluster permission to the user account on the Datastore Cluster where the virtual machine resides.
- As a user with the Administrator role, select Edit Settings on the virtual machine for which the non-administrative user cannot edit the settings. Do not make any changes, but click OK. This change allows the non-administrative user to edit the virtual machine's configuration.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.