The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to quiesce a vCloud Director cell using cell-management-tool (2012151)
- Cannot quiesce a vCloud Director (vCD) cell using cell-management-tool
- Quiescing a vCD cell using cell-management-tool fails
- You see the error:
There was an error communicating with the cell: Failed to retrieve RMIServer stub: javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: <Primary_IP_of_Cell>; nested exception is: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused]
To work around this issue:
- Take a backup of the $VCLOUD_HOME/etc/global.properties file.
- Open the $VCLOUD_HOME/etc/global.properties file using a text editor.
- Locate this line within the file:
- Change this line to:
vcloud.cell.ip.primary = 127.0.0.1
- Save and close the file.
Note: You need not restart the cell for the change to take effect.
- Re-run the cell-management-tool command.
- After the command successfully completes, revert to the backed up global.properties file.
For more information on security hardening, see the VMware vCloud Director Security Hardening Guide.
To be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document in the Actions box.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.