The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
vSphere HA agent is unreachable and the Summary tab of the ESXi host reports the error: vSphere HA reports that an agent is in the Agent Unreachable state (2011192)
- The vSphere HA agent is unreachable
- In the Summary tab of the affected ESXi host, you see the error:
vSphere HA reports that an agent is in the Agent Unreachable state
- Restarting the management agents does not resolve the issue
- Restarting the Virtual Center service does not resolve the issue
To resolve this issue:
- Determine if vCenter Server is reporting the host as Not Responding. For more information,see Diagnosing an ESX or ESXi host that is Disconnected or Not Responding in vCenter Server (1003409).
- If the host is in a Not Responding state, there is a network problem or a total cluster failure. After you resolve this condition, vSphere HA should configure correctly.
- If the vCenter Server reports the hosts as responding:
- Enable the SSH access to the host.
- Connect to the ESXi host using SSH.
- Review the /var/log/vpxa.log file and check if there are errors related to communication with vCenter Server and the host Management Agent (hostd).
- Review the /var/log/fdm.log file (Fault Domain Manager log) and check if there are errors related to vSphere High Availability. For more information, see the vSphere 5.1 Availability Guide or the vSphere 5.0 Availability Guide.
- Right-click the affected host and click Reconfigure for vSphere HA.
For additional troubleshooting information, see:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.