Installing VMware Tools on a Windows virtual machine fails with the error: The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete installation (2010644)
- You cannot install VMware Tools on a Windows virtual machine.
- Installation of VMware Tools on a Windows virtual machine fails with the error:
Setup cannot continue. The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete installation.
- In the Windows Application Event logs, you see the error:
Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 -- Error 1327.Invalid Drive: H:\
- The registry information for the Windows virtual machine appears similar to:
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version
Value: H:\Program Files\Common Files
Note: The Value field may list another drive letter.
For example, if the install location was changed to H:\Program Files\Common Files , but the virtual machine cannot access the H: drive, the VMware Tools installation will fail.
The install location is defined in the CommonFilesDir registry key.
To resolve this issue, change the Value field of the CommonFilesDir registry key to a drive letter that is available on the virtual machine.
To change the Value field of the registry key:
Note: This procedure modifies the Windows registry. Before making any registry modifications, ensure that you have a current and valid backup of the registry and the virtual machine. For more information on backing up and restoring the registry, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 136393.
Click Start > Run, type regedit , and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens.
- Navigate to:
- Double-click the CommonFilesDir key, and edit the Value string to reflect the valid drive letter.
For example, if the C: drive is available to the virtual machine, change the CommonFilesDir Value string to:
C:\Program Files\Common files
- Click OK.
- Click File > Exit to close the Registry Editor.
- Install VMware Tools to verify. For more information on installing VMware Tools, see General VMware Tools installation instructions (1014294).