The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Powering on a virtual machine fails after a storage outage with the error: could not open/create change tracking file (2009244)
- Virtual machine does not power on after a storage outage
- You see the error:
could not open/create change tracking file vmdk_file_name
- There are no CTK variables on the virtual machine configuration (.vmx) as described in vMotion fails at 78% with the error: Could not open change tracking file (2001004)
- When virtual machine is powered on, you may see the error:
invalid signature change in tracking file
- Remove the hard disk specified in the error message from the virtual machine.
- Open an SSH session to the host. For more information, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0 (1017910).
- Navigate to the virtual machine's folder (/vmfs/volumes/GUID/vm_name).
- Remove or rename the filename-ctk.vmdk file.
- Re-add the hard disk back to virtual machine
- Edit the descriptor file (.vmdk) and remove or comment out any references that specify use of a ctk file.
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0
- vMotion fails at 78% with the error: Could not open change tracking file
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.