The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
ESXi 5.0 issues with PXE booting virtual machines with Citrix Provisioning Server (2008436)
- After upgrading to ESXi 5.0, PXE servers provided by Citrix Provisioning Server report issues while PXE booting a virtual machine.
- A virtual machine becomes unresponsive during the boot process at:
CLIENT MAC ADDR: xx xx xx xx xx xx
- If the virtual machine is rebooted from within the guest operating system, the virtual machine fails to PXE boot. However, if the virtual machine is reset or powered off/on, the virtual machine PXE boots correctly.
- This issue does not occur with earlier versions of ESXi/ESX.
- This issue may occur on virtual machines regardless of the network adapter (such as
Note: Before implementing this workaround, confirm with Citrix if the version of Citrix Provisioning Server being used is compatible with vSphere 5.0.
To work around this issue, configure the Citrix Provisioning Bootstrap and select Interrupt Safe Mode. For more information, see Configuring the Bootstrap File From the Console on the Citrix documentation site.
For more information, see the Citrix Knowledge Center article, vSphere 5 Support for Provisioning Server 5.6.x and 6.0.
To be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document in the Actions box.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.