The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Daylight Saving Time (DST) update in Russia, Canada and Netherland Antilles for 2011 (2007992)
This article provides a patch that implements time zone changes in Russia (UTC offset changes for all 16 time zones and a new time zone for Kaliningrad), Canada (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Netherland Antilles (Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba and Sint Maarten).
ESXi is not affected by DST changes. This patch does not apply to ESXi. This patch applies to:
- VMware ESX 3.5.X
- VMware ESX 4.0.X
- VMware ESX 4.1.X
Note: This patch only updates the time zone information for the ESX service console. It does not update time zone information for your guest operating systems.
To install the patch:
- Download these files, attached to this article:
- Copy the downloaded filed to the ESX host using a tool such as WinSCP, and ensure that both copied files are in same directory.
- Log in to the console of the ESX host as a root user.
- Verify the integrity of the downloaded ESXDSTupdate.tar.gz file using the md5sum command with md5sum_ESXDSTupdate.txt file:
[root@esx]# /usr/bin/md5sum -c md5sum_ESXDSTupdate.txt
- Extract the contents of the file ESXDSTupdate.tar.gz using the command:
[root@esx]# tar -zxvpf ESXDSTupdate.tar.gz
- Update the time zone information files patch by running the bash script updateTzdata.sh:
Updated Time Zone information files
- Verify the UTC offset using the command:
[root@esx]# date -R
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:26:47 +0400
- Verify the DST change time using the command:
[root@esx]# zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep -i 2011
/etc/localtime Sat Mar 26 22:59:59 2011 UTC = Sun Mar 27 01:59:59 2011 MSK isdst=0 gmtoff=10800
/etc/localtime Sat Mar 26 23:00:00 2011 UTC = Sun Mar 27 03:00:00 2011 MSK isdst=0 gmtoff=14400
Note: For the 2 time zones America/Kralendijk and America/Lower_Princes, you have to adjust the time zone. For more information, see Adjusting ESX host Time Zone (1436).
If you install ESX400-201110407-BG on ESX 4.0 after you apply the patch in this article (ESXDSTupdate.tar.gz), the changes to the time zone data from ESXDSTupdate.tar.gz are lost.
If this occurs, follow the steps in this article to reapply the patch.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.