The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
vSphere Replication Management Server connection fails with the error: Unexpected status code:404 (2007463)
- When setting up vSphere replication, configuring the vSphere Replication Management Server (VRMS) connection fails
- You see the error:
VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is 'Unexpected status code:404"
- This issue occurs when DNS or host names are configured in the environment
VRMS and VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager (SRM) have been configured to use different addresses for the vCenter Server. VRMS is commonly configured for an IP address, whereas SRM is commonly configured for FQDN.
By default, VRMS enters an IP address for the vCenter Server, where as you likely use FQDN while configuring SRM.
During the SRM installation, vCenter Server is specified by DNS, while during VRMS configuration vCenter Server is specified by an IP address. These two must match. That is, if you use DNS (FQDN) in one place, use it in the other as well.
If you have already experienced this issue, reconfigure the VRMS to use the correct host name of vCenter Server:
- Log into web interface of each VRMS (https://x.x.x.x:5480) and click the Configure tab.
- Click Unregister from vCenter Server to unregister the VRMS.
- Reinitialize the VRMS database for both sides. Consult your database administrator or documentation on how to do this.
- Select Manual configuration for the database connection on the VRMS.
- Change the vCenter Server address to be consistent with what you used in the SRM configuration. Most times this is the FQDN of the vCenter Server.
- Fill in the other necessary fields.
- Click Save and restart Service.
- Configure the connection again.
- If you receive an error indicating that the local VRM Server is not connected to the local site, wait another minute and try again.
- The FQDNs are case sensitive.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.