ESXi 4.0 hosts may experience a purple screen after vCenter Server is upgraded to 5.0 (2007269)
You may encounter an issue where:
- You have recently upgraded your vCenter Server to version 5.0
- You have hosts of minimum version ESXi 4.0 Patch 3 (build 219382) and maximum version ESXi 4.0 Patch 9 (build 360236) in your vCenter Server inventory
- After the vpxa agents are upgraded, the ESXi 4.0 Update 2 hosts experience a purple screen that includes this error:
This is caused by an issue in the handling of the vpxa agent upgrade.
- This issue does not affect ESX, or ESXi versions older than ESXi 4.0 Patch 3 (build 219382).
- ESXi 4.0 Update 2 is not supported for use with vCenter Server 5.0. For more information, see the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix.
This issue is resolved in vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1. To avoid this issue, upgrade directly to vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1 instead of vCenter Server 5.0 GA.
For vCenter Server 5.0 GA, this issue is not seen if all ESXi 4.0 hosts are upgraded to a minimum version of 4.0 Update 3 before vCenter Server is upgraded.
To download the latest version of vCenter and ESXi, go to the VMware Download Center. For more information about updating ESXi, see Updating ESX 4.x to a newer released update (1016209).
To check the build number of your ESXi host:
- Refer to the line above the Summary tab of the host in the vSphere Client
- Run this command on the command line of the host: