The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Users and permissions in My VMware (2006977)
This article provides general information about users and permissions in My VMware.
Important Note: For detailed steps on viewing, editing, and copying permissions, see Viewing, editing, and copying user permissions in My VMware (2006978).
Permissions refer to activities that you can perform if authorized. Some permissions are granted by default when you are associated with an account (for example, download product permissions), and some permissions are determined at the discretion of the Super User or Procurement Contact. If you are unable to perform certain actions (such as filing a Support Request), see Requesting permissions in My VMware (2016605).
This table outlines the permissions in My VMware:
Note: Italicized text indicates a recent change to permissions. See Changes to Permissions in this article for more information about recent changes to permissions in My VMware.
|Manage Roles||View Support Requests||View Orders & Support Contracts||View License Keys & User Permissions||Manage Folders & User Permissions||Divide & Combine License Keys||
Downgrade License Keys
|File Technical Support Request||Download Products|
|Account Level (Home folder)||
Change Super User and Procurement Contact, add or remove Administrator
|View all Support Requests for the account||View all orders and contracts for the account||
View all licenses, user permissions, and audits
for the account
|Move folders, add or delete folders and users across the account||Divide or combine licenses across the account||
or deactivate licenses in the account.
|File Technical Support Requests for products in an account||Download products that are available in an account|
|Folder Level||Add or remove Administrator||
View Support Requests filed for a folder
View all licenses, user permissions,
and audits for a folder
|Move folders, add or delete folders and users within a folder||Divide or combine licenses within a folder||
Upgrade, downgrade, or de-activate licenses within
|File Technical Support Requests for products in a folder||Download products that are available in a folder|
Note: The Administer Account permission has been renamed Manage Roles. However, the permissions are the same.
These changes have been made to permissions in My VMware:
- A standard set of permissions has been introduced. The distinction between global and folder level permissions has been removed. All permissions are now assignable to any user at the folder level.
- The ability to view audits and to deactivate licenses is no longer just available to Super Users and Procurement Contacts. These capabilities have been separated out from these roles and are now included with View License Keys & User Permissions and Upgrade/Downgrade License Keys.
- Folder users can now be assigned any permission. A folder user can have all the permissions of an Administrator without actually being assigned that role and can have all of the same permissions as the Super User or Procurement Contact for a folder.
- Permissions assigned to a folder user apply only to the particular folder. A user may, for example, have View Support Request permissions for one folder, but not for another. Permissions must be granted on a folder by folder basis.
- If a user is in the Home folder, permissions apply to every folder in the account.
This table outlines changes to specific permissions:
|Permission||Account Level||Folder Level|
|All||Your permissions apply to the whole account.||Your permissions apply to a particular folder|
|View Support Requests||
You can view any Support Request that has been associated to the account.
You can view any Support Request that has been associated to your folders.
Note: Folder association is optional when filing a Support Request.
|View Orders & Contracts||You can view orders and contracts for the account.||
You can view orders associated to licenses in your folders.
Note: If you have this permission but you are not the user associated with the order (by email match), you have a restricted view of the order (pricing and sold to information is hidden).
|Upgrade & Downgrade License Keys||You can upgrade or downgrade any license and respond to any deactivation alert.||You can upgrade or downgrade licenses in your folders and respond to the portion of a deactivation alert that impacts the licenses in your folders.|
If you have permissions to a folder, then you have the same set of permissions for licenses and support to a sub-folder. However, user assigned permissions to a sub-folder are restricted to that sub-folder.
For information on requesting permissions, see Requesting permissions in My VMware (2016605).
For related information, see:
- Viewing, editing, and copying user permissions in My VMware (2006978)
- Adding and removing users in My VMware (2016235)
- Requesting permissions in My VMware (2016605)
- Roles in My VMware (2016898)
- Super Users and Procurement Contacts in My VMware (2011011)
- Administrator role in My VMware (2035526)
- Folder management in My VMware (2011222)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.