The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
How to downgrade license keys in My VMware (2006975)
This article provides information about downgrading license keys in My VMware.
- If you experience issues when downgrading license keys, see License key management in My VMware fails (2016403).
- For more information about downgrading restricted license keys, see Downgrading restricted VMware vCloud Suite license keys in My VMware (2030013).
When a new version of a product is released, the older versions are no longer available for purchase. Downgrading a license key allows you to use an older version of a product. If you downgrade a license key, you can revert to the newer version by upgrading the license key. For more information, see How to upgrade license keys in My VMware (2006974).
Only Super Users, Procurement Contacts, and users with Upgrade and Downgrade License Keys permissions can downgrade a license key.
Not all products are eligible for downgrade. When you select Downgrade License Keys from the I want to dropdown, you only see products that can be downgraded.
- The downgrade option is not available for ESXi 4 Single Server to ESXi 3.x.
- The downgrade option is not available for vSphere Essentials to VI3.
- If license keys are downgraded from vSphere Enterprise version 5 to ESX version 3, the vSphere Enterprise 5 key will still remain in the license portal and a new license key will be available in the VI3 license portal. You will not be able to upgrade this new VI3 key. To remain in compliance, use either the vSphere Enterprise 5 key or the downgraded VI3 key.
- Site Recovery Manager 5 has two different editions: Standard and Enterprise. You can downgrade the Site Recovery Manager 5 Enterprise licenses to previous version, but you cannot downgrade Site Recovery Manager 5 Standard licenses.
- No edition downgrade.
- The downgrade view portal may vary depending on Browsers.
Downgrading a license key to versions other than VI3
To downgrade a license key to versions other than VMware Infrastructure 3 (VI3):
- Log in to My VMware.
- Select Manage License Keys from the navigation bar.
- Select Downgrade License Keys from the available dropdown.
- Select one or more folders. All products that you are entitled to downgrade are displayed:
- If you have a large number of products or
license keys, you can use the By Products tab. To filter products within
particular folders, click the Folders dropdown and select a folder.
- Select a product, then select a license key.
- Click Continue.
- Select the quantity of licenses that you want to downgrade.
Note: The quantity you are downgrading must be equal to or less than the available quantity.
- Indicate that you have read and understand the warning, then click Confirm.
The downgraded license key is displayed in the dialogue box and also under View License Keys.
Downgrading a license key to VI3
To downgrade to VI3 license keys:
- Log in to My VMware.
- Select Manage License Keys from the Quick Links menu.
- Select Downgrade License Keys from the I want to dropdown.
- Click Downgrade to VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3 (VI 3).
- Select the order that you want to downgrade to VI3 and click Continue.
- Accept the warning and click Confirm to downgrade the licenses.
Downgrades take approximately 30 minutes to complete. You will receive an email confirming that your VI3 licenses are ready to be used.
This Article Replaces
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.