The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Physical NICs set to Auto-negotiate cannot be changed to Fixed by using Host Profiles if the same speed and duplex settings are present (2005112)
- Physical NICs set to Auto-negotiate cannot be changed to Fixed by using Host Profiles if the same speed and duplex settings are present.
- If you follow these steps and the NIC is not updated, you have encountered this issue:
- ESX/ESXi host has one or more physical NICs set to Auto-negotiate. Speed and Duplex are set automatically.
- Host Profile in use is set to configure the physical NIC in question to Fixed.
Networking Configuration > Physical NIC configuration > Physical NIC configuration (specific vmnic) > Physical Network Adapter = Fixed physical NIC configuration, same speed and duplex as the ESX/ESXi host in step 1.
- Host Profile in use is set to configure the physical NIC in question to the same speed and duplex it is at currently.
- Host Profile is applied to ESX(i) host with physical NIC/s set to Auto-negotiate.
- Host Profile shows as compliant on ESX(i) host.
- ESX/ESXi host physical NICs remain set to Auto-negotiate after application of Host Profile with Fixed setting.
In vCenter Server 5.x and earlier, Host Profiles check compliance against the speed and duplex of a physical NIC. If the speed and duplex of a physical NIC match that of the Host Profile, the ESX/ESXi host shows as compliant. The ESX/ESXi host shows as compliant even if the physical NIC is set to Auto-negotiate and the Host Profile is set to Fixed.
This is a known issue.
To workaround this issue, manually configure any physical NICs on ESX(i) to a Fixed setting. For more information on manually configuring speed and duplex settings for network adapters on ESX/ESXi, see Configuring the speed and duplex of an ESX / ESXi host network adapter (1004089).
To be alerted when this article is updated, click Subscribe to Document in the Actions box.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.