The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
ESXi host does not retain Active Directory membership after a reboot (2005012)
- An ESXi host can join Active Directory (AD), but AD authentication always fails
- Using Windows Authentication to connect to the host with the vSphere Client fails
- Using an AD account with Remote Tech Support mode (SSH) fails
- The host is no longer joined to the AD domain after a reboot
To troubleshoot this issue, check that the host meets basic requirements to be joined to Active Directory:
- Check the DNS and routing configuration and ensure that a valid host name and domain name are entered.
- Ensure that the configured DNS servers are valid for Active Directory and can resolve other Active Directory systems (the Domain Controllers).
- Ensure that the search domain(s) includes the host domain name, as well as any other required domains for the network.
- Ensure that the Time Configuration on the host is configured to sync with a Domain Controller.
- Ensure that the host is configured to use a static IP address.
- Ensure that the Domain Controller host name and the ESX/ESXi host name are resolvable by the configured DNS servers.
- Attempting to join domain to use Active Directory authentication fails for an ESXi host
- Unable to log in to the ESXi 4.1 host using Windows credentials
- Unable to add ESXi host to the Active Directory domain
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.