The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
VMware High Availability fails with the error: Misconfiguration in the host Network setup (2003774)
- Cannot enable or reconfigure VMware High Availability (HA)
- Enabling or reconfiguring HA fails
- You see the error:
Misconfiguration in the host Network setup
- In the /var/log/vmware/aam/aam_config_util_monitornodes.log file, you see entries similar to:
07/20/11 12:53:49 [issue_cli_cmd ] command is '/opt/vmware/aam/bin/ftcli -domain vmware -port 8042 -timeout 5 -cmd listnodes'
07/20/11 12:53:49 [issue_cli_cmd ] Trying to talk to self ('<<hostname>>'), yet there is no sites file.
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] Failure location:
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] function main::myexit called from line 247
07/20/11 12:53:49 [myexit ] VMwareresult=failure
- The /etc/opt/vmware/aam folder contains an invalid configBackup file of 0 bytes
/etc/opt/vmware/aam # ls -lh
-rw-r--r-T 1 root root 0 Apr 13 2010 configBackup.tar.gz
To resolve this issue:
- Review the network configuration in the cluster to ensure that the HA heartbeat interfaces match between hosts.
- For ESX, HA will heartbeat over all Service Consoles.
- For ESXi: HA will heartbeat over all VMkernels with the Management Traffic option enabled.
- Ensure that there are no extra or missing HA heartbeat interfaces on any hosts.
- Ensure that all hosts have the same network configuration on HA heartbeat networks. For ESX, it is the service console network and for ESXi, it is the VMkernel network (With Management Traffic).
- Try to reconfigure for VMware HA on the affected host again.
For more information, see:
- TCP and UDP Ports required to access VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi and ESX hosts, and other network components (1012382)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.