The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Capturing a trace log with DebugView for VMware Service Manager (2003526)
In order to troubleshoot a problem, you may be asked by VMware Technical Support to collect a trace log.
There are three kinds of trace logs:
- An application trace should be done when troubleshooting a process where human interaction is involved.
- A polling trace should be done when troubleshooting a workflow or other automated process.
- A query trace should only be performed under the direction of VMware Technical Support. A query trace is performed to diagnose speed problems or delays in processes. A query trace is very intrusive to the VMware Service Manager system and impacts performance.
To collect a trace log:
- Go to the VMware Service Manager server.
- Open the vSM Server Console.
- Select the system name, then click Properties.
- Go to the Diagnostics tab.
- Select Trace to Debug, then select Trace Application or Trace Polling, depending on which trace was requested by support.
- Click OK and exit the Server Console.
Note: If you have more than one vSM system on the server, go through each server that will NOT be traced, and make sure that Trace Application and Trace Polling are not checked.
- Go to Start > Run, type iisreset to clear the server cache, and click OK.
Important: Only perform an IISRESET if your users will not be interrupted at that time.
- Go to Start > Run, type dbgview, and click OK.
- If you do not already have DebugView, it can be downloaded from Microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx.
- The preceding link was correct as of November 17, 2011. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- VMware does not endorse or recommend any particular third-party utility.
- Click the Magnifier icon once to pause the trace. The trace is paused when this icon has a red line through it.
- Configure DebugView:
- Capture: Capture Win32, Capture Kernel, Pass Through and, if available, Win32 Global, should all be selected.
- Go to Options and make sure that Clock Time is selected.
- On the client computer, log in to vSM and navigate to the area of the application that support requested to have traced.
- Work up to the point of the issue/break, but do not perform the action that “breaks” vSM.
- Go back to DebugView and click the Magnifier icon to unpause the trace.
- Immediately return to vSM and perform the action that needs to be traced.
- Go back to DebugView and click the Magnifier icon to pause the trace.
- Go to File > Save As and save the trace as a .log file.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.