The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Reinstalling VMware vCenter Server 4.x/5.x (2003493)
To perform a clean reinstall of vCenter Server:
- Backup the vCenter database. You need to reattach to this database during the reinstall.
- Backup your SSL key files for later use:
- Server 2003:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Center\SSL
- Server 2008:
C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Virtual Center\SSL
- Server 2003:
- Stop all vCenter Services. For more information, see Stopping, starting, or restarting vCenter services (1003895).
- Uninstall vCenter Server. For more information, see Best practices for uninstalling vCenter Server (1030559).
- Remove or rename these folders if they still exist:
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter
C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter
- Remove this registry key, if it still exists. You may create a backup if needed:
HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter
- Reinstall vCenter Server and choose your existing database file during the install process. For more information, see:
- Installing ESX 4.1 and vCenter Server 4.1 best practices (1022101)
- Installing vCenter Server 5.1 best practices (2021202)
- Installing vCenter Server 5.5 best practices (2052334)
- To reuse your SSL certificates backed up in step 2, see Replacing vCenter Server Certificates.
For information related to post installation issues, see Post installation issues with vCenter Server 4.1 (1000153).
- Post installation issues with vCenter Server 4.1 and vCenter Server 4.0
- Stopping, starting, or restarting vCenter services
- Installing ESXi/ESX 4.1 and vCenter Server 4.1 best practices
- Cannot log in to vCenter Server after editing the ADAM database
- Best practices for uninstalling vCenter Server
- Installing vCenter Server 5.1 best practices
- Installing vCenter Server 5.5 best practices
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.