The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Enabling WriteCache on LSI RAID adapters (2001946)
This article provides steps to enable the WriteCache on your LSI RAID controller. You may want to enable the WriteCache to improve the local disk performance.
Note: This article assumes that the option to enable WriteCache is not available within the BIOS of the controller.
WARNING: Enabling WriteCache without a Battery Backup Unit (BBU) may result in data corruption when the system is shut down incorrectly.
To enable the WriteCache on your LSI RAID controller:
- Download the 2001946_lsiutilESXi4.zip file attached to this article.
- Unzip the file and copy the executable to your host using a tool such as WinSCP.
Note: To download WinSCP, see http://winscp.net/.
- Access the command-line of the host. For more information, see:
- Assign executable permissions to the file using the command:
chmod +x lsiutil
- Execute the file using the command:
- Choose the following options:
- When you are prompted with Enable write caching: [Yes or No] , type Yes.
- For other prompts, retain the default values.
- Press 0 three times to exit the utility.
Note: These settings are persistent across reboots of the ESXi host.
For more information, see
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.