The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Resetting the root user password in the VMware vCenter Operations or VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance (2001476)
This article provides steps to reset the root user password in the VMware vCenter Operations or VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator virtual appliance.
When you log in to the Administration portal of VMware vCenter Operations Standard for the first time, the application forces you to change the default administrator credentials. When you assign a new administrator password, that password is also assigned to the root user in the vCenter Operations virtual appliance. Therefore, you cannot log in to the vCenter Operations virtual appliance if you forget the administrator password.
Similarly, VMware vCenter Infrastructure Navigator's password is set on the properties page during the deployment of the virtual appliance. Logging on via SSH to perform troubleshooting or generate a support package is not possible without the root password.
- Boot the virtual appliance and navigate to the console for the virtual machine in the vSphere Client.
- Click in the console and press any key to display the GRUB menu.
Note: The GRUB prompt remains on screen for 7 seconds before it starts the boot sequence.
- On the GRUB menu, select SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for VMware.
- Type e to edit the line. A list of items in the GRUB configuration file appears.
- Select the line that starts with kernel and type e to edit the line.
- At the end of the line, press the spacebar and type init=/bin/sh.
- Press Enter to exit edit mode.
- On the GRUB screen, type b to boot into single-user mode.
The virtual appliance boots in single-user mode.
- To change the root user password, type passwd root and follow the on-screen prompts.
- To restart the virtual appliance, type reboot and press Enter.
When the virtual appliance restarts, you can log in using the new password.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.