The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
vCenter Server setup/configuration fails with the error: Setup cannot join vCenter Server to the linked mode group (2001468)
vCenter Server setup/configuration fails with one of these errors:
- 28039. Setup cannot join vCenter Server to the linked mode group.
Refer to C:\documents and settings\%username%\local Settings\Temp\jointool-0.log for more details
Error 28038. Setup cannot create vCenter Server Directory Service instance. Refer to C:\Users\Admin~1\...\jointool-0.log for more details.
- A internal error occured in the vSphere Client. Details: Object reference not set to an instant object
You see these errors after:
- Manually modifying the ADAM database
- Removing vCenter Server from the Linked mode
- Re-adding/reinstalling vCenter Server on a system on which a linked clone vCenter Server was previously installed
- In the jointool-0.log file, you see the error:
[<YYYY-MM-DD>T<Time> SEVERE] Operation "Recover" failed: : Action: Recover LDAP instance
Problem: Instance "XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXX" does not exist
Note: The preceding log excerpts are only examples. Date, time, and environmental variables may vary depending on your environment.
Note: This procedure modifies the database. Ensure to take a backup of the database before proceeding.
To resolve this issue:
To resolve this issue:
- Uninstall all vCenter Server components.
Note: If on a virtual machine, you need not uninstall VMware Tools.
- Remove all VMware related entries in the registry. You can leave VMware Tools related registry entries, if applicable.
- Remove all vCenter Server related data from folders, such as C:\ProgramData\VMware, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware, and C:\Program Files on the guest virtual machine.
- Back up the vCenter Server database.
- Create a snapshot of the vCenter Server database server.
- Run this SQL query on the vCenter Server database to truncate VPX_BINARY_DATA, which contains the ADAM backup:
truncate table VPX_BINARY_DATA
Note: The VPX_BINARY_DATA table contains the ADAM backup information. To create a clean ADAM database, this table must be truncated.
- Reinstall vCenter Server. You may have to provide your licensing information and custom server roles because the ADAM backup is removed.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.