Network Dump Collector on vSphere ESXi 5.0 is not supported on vDS (2000781)
- Cannot enable Network Dump Collection on a vSphere ESXi 5.0 host
- Enabling Network Dump Collection on an ESXi 5.0 host fails
- You see the error:
Only vnics connected to portgroup are supported
- The VMkernel network interface selected for use with Network Dump Collection is attached to a vSphere Distributed Switch or Cisco Nexus 1000 Switch
In ESXi 5.0, the ESXi Network Dump Collector feature is supported only with Standard vSwitches and cannot be used on a VMkernel network interface connected to a vSphere Distributed Switch or Cisco Nexus 1000 Switch.
Note: In vSphere/ESXi 5.1, the Net Dump Collector feature can be used on distributed switches. For more information on network-based core dump collection, see Network Dump Collector in VMware vSphere (1032051).
To work around this issue, instead of using Network Dump Collection on vDS, use one of these alternative options:
- Use a network-based Dump Collector with a standard vSwitch. For more information, see Configuring an ESXi 5.0 host to capture a VMkernel coredump from a purple diagnostic screen via the Network Dump Collector (2002955).
- Manually configure disk-based dump collection on each host. For more information, see Configuring an ESX/ESXi host to capture a VMkernel coredump from a purple diagnostic screen (1000328).
- Automatically configure disk-based dump collection on a group of hosts using Host Profiles. For more information, see Set Up ESXi Dump Collector from the Host Profiles Interface in the ESXi and vCenter Server 5.0 documentation.
Note: This requires that a diagnostic partition is created already on each host's local disk or on a shared disk accessible to the group of hosts.