The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
The guest operating system is extremely slow or does not boot when connected to the host CD/DVD drive (2000382)
- The virtual machine is extremely slow
- The guest operating system fails to boot
- CPU and disk performance charts for the virtual machine show little or no activity
- The virtual CD/DVD drive is connected to a host device
- In the host vmkernel or messages log, you see a log spew similar to:
May 27 07:42:07 VS2 vmkernel: 21:02:21:57.950 cpu5:4235)ScsiDeviceIO: 1672: Command 0x28 to device "mpx.vmhba1:C0:T0:L0" failed H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0x3 0x2 0x0.
May 27 07:42:13 VS2 vmkernel: 21:02:22:04.455 cpu5:4235)NMP: nmp_CompleteCommandForPath: Command 0x28 (0x41027f3c6640) to NMP device "mpx.vmhba1:C0:T0:L0" failed on physical path "vmhba1:C0:T0:L0" H:0x0 D:0x2 P:0x0 Valid sense data: 0x3 0x2 0x0.
This issue may occur when the device type of the CD/DVD drive is set to Host Device.
To resolve this issue, in the virtual machine settings, ensure that the Device Type of the CD/DVD drives is set to Client Device:
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Setting.
- Set the Device Type to Client Device for the CD/DVD drive.
For more information on connecting DVDs to virtual machines, see the vSphere Virtual Machine Administration Guide.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.