Cannot Connect to Virtual Machine on NFS Mount with Console (1708)
If your virtual machines are located on an NFS mount, you may not be able to connect to them with a console. This may occur due to issues with the VMware Registration Service (Windows hosts) or vmware-serverd (Linux hosts). Try running the service with an account that has access to the NFS mount. Follow the appropriate steps below for your host operating system.
On a Windows host:
- Choose Start>Administrative Tools>Services.
- Right-click VMware Registration Service and select Properties.
- On the Log On tab, select This account and specify the appropriate account.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Restart the service. Right-click VMware Registration Service and select Restart.
On a Linux host:
Use the chmod command to change permissions on the virtual machine's configuration file (.vmx). Set the permissions to rwx for all users.