The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Connecting to the View Connection server fails with the error: A secure connection to the server '(null)' cannot be established (1038334)
- Cannot connect to the View Connection server that is behind a firewall
- Connecting to the View Connection server that is behind a firewall fails
- You see the error:
The View Connection Server authentication failed. A secure connection to the server '(null)' cannot be established.
- You see this error after you enter your log in credentials in the View Logon screen
- You do not experience this issue when the View Connection server is in your local network, without an intervening firewall
The same error may also be displayed if an invalid port is defined in the External URL.
To resolve this issue, try one of these options:
- Disable secure tunneling on the View Connection Server behind the firewall .
To disable secure tunneling:
- In the View Admin portal, navigate to View Configuration > Servers.
- Click the Connection Server.
- Click the General tab.
- Under HTTP(S) Secure Tunnel, deselect Use Secure Tunnel connection to desktop.
- Open ports on the firewall to allow communication between the Client and Connection server. Port 80 and 443 are used to connect Client and Connection servers.
For a complete list of ports used in VMware View, see:
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.