The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to mount a floppy image in vCenter Server (1036836)
- Datastore browser shows vmimages directory on the ESXi host as empty in vCenter Server
- Cannot see the vmimages/floppies directory in vCenter Server
- Contents of the vmimages/floppies directory is accessible when directly connected via the vSphere Client.
This article provides a workaround that enables you to mount a floppy image, such as an image containing the paravirtual SCSI adapter driver, to a virtual machine.
To workaround this issue:
Log in to the ESXi host.
For more information, see:
ESXi 4.1/5.x – Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x (1017910)
ESXi 4.0 and 3.x – Tech Support Mode for Emergency Support (1003677)
- Run this command to create a new floppies directory on one of the datastores on the ESXi host:
Where <datastore_name> is the name of a shared datastore.
- Run this command to copy the contents of the original floppies directory to the new directory:
cp /productLocker/floppies/*.flp /vmfs/volumes/<datastore_name>/floppies/
- Mount the floppy image.
To use the floppy image:
- In the Inventory pane, right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Click the virtual floppy drive and select Connected.
- Click Browse under Use existing floppy image in datastore.
- Browse to the location /<datastore_name>/floppies.
- Select the required floppy image.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.