The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Unable to locate the ISO image for the VMware Tools installation (1036810)
- Cannot find the VMware Tools ISO image
- Unable to find the ISO image for the VMware Tools installation
- You see the error:
Unable to install VMware Tools: An error occurred while trying to access image file "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/windows.iso" needed to install VMware tools: No such file or directory.
This article provides information to download the VMWare Tools ISO image.
You may have to download the ISO image when it is not shipped with the installation CD.
You will have to download the VMware tools packages for various ESX/ESXi manually, see: VMware Operating System Specific Packages
To download the VMware Tools ISO image:
- Navigate to the link http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/index.html.
- Click the link for your version of ESX/ESXi.
- Click the link for your version of guest operating system.
- Download the VMware Tools ISO image and attach it to the CD of the virtual machine.
For ESX version 4.1 and earlier, see the tools install guide.
For ESXi versions 5.1 and 5.0, see the tools install guide.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.