The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Cannot mount a USB key or disk device media to an ESXi/ESX host (1036340)
- You cannot connect a USB key or disk device media to the ESXi/ESX host.
- Connecting a USB key or disk device media to the ESXi/ESX host fails.
Note: You may want to connect a USB key or a disk device media to the ESXi/ESX host to copy data to it from the host. For example, to gather the vm-support bundle from the host when the host has lost the network connectivity.
- The USB key or disk device media appears under lsusb but does not mount correctly.
- This issue occurs when the USB key or disk device media is formatted with a FAT16 partition and is of maximum size 2 GB.
This issue occurs because the usbarbitrator service has claimed the device to make it available for passthrough to virtual machines. You need to enable SSH / PuTTY for the host. For more information, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x (1017910).
To resolve this issue:
- Run this command to stop the usbarbitrator service:
- Disconnect and reconnect the USB key or disk device media. The device is automatically mounted under /vmfs/volumes/NO NAME/.
- After using the device, start the usbarbitrator service by running this command:
- Não é possível instalar uma chave USB ou mídia de dispositivo de disco em um host ESX/ESXi (2037334)
- No se puede montar una unidad de memoria USB o un medio de dispositivo de disco en un host ESX/ESXi (2071528)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.