Converting a Linux virtual machine fails at 99% with the error: Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine (1034984)
- Unable to convert a Linux virtual machine
- Converting a Linux virtual machine fails at 99%
- You see the error:
Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine.
- In the Converter server log, you see the error:
error 'App'] [task,344] [LRO] Unexpected Exception: converter.fault.CloneFault
info 'App'] [task,373] [task-59] -- ERROR -- Convert: converter.fault.CloneFault
dynamicType = <unset>,
faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
description = "InitrdNativePatcher failed to generate initrd image: /usr/lib/vmware-converter/initrdGenRhel.sh failed with return code: 1, and message: * /mnt/p2v-src-root/dev has 2 files
No module xenblk found for kernel 2.6.18-128.el5, aborting.
ERROR: failed running mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18-128.el5.img 2.6.18-128.el5 with chroot /mnt/p2v-src-root
* unmounting /mnt/p2v-src-root/dev /mnt/p2v-src-root/proc and /mnt/p2v-src-root/sys
msg = "",
This issue occurs if the virtual machine is installed with a later kernel version that is different from the version currently being loaded. This occurs if the virtual machine was updated to a later kernel version, but was not rebooted to load the new kernel.
- Run this command to determine the default kernel version:
- Run this command to find the kernel version installed:
rpm -qa | grep -i kernel
- If the installed kernel version is different from the default kernel version loaded, restart the host to load the correct kernel version.