The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Troubleshooting issues installing VMware vCenter Update Manager (1032443)
- Installing VMware vCenter Update Manager fails
- When trying to install VMware vCenter Update Manager you see one or more of these errors:
- Error 25089 - incorrect username/password for vCenter Server
- Error 25085 - Setup failed to register VMware Update Manager extension to VMware vCenter Server
- C:\Documents and Settings\Domain Administrator User\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\vminst.log errors:
Posting error message 25085
vmware-updatemgr.exe:: Error - Incorrect username or password provided for VC Server <xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>. Failed to un-register the extension
- Error 1920 Service VMware Update Manager Service (vmware-ufad-vci) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
The Update Manager tab is not available in the vSphere Client
You are unable to perform any Update Manager tasks.
Validate that each troubleshooting step below is true for your environment. Each step will provide instructions or a link to a document, in order to eliminate possible causes and take corrective action as necessary. The steps are ordered in the most appropriate sequence to isolate the issue and identify the proper resolution. Do not skip a step.
- Ensure that you have sufficient permissions to the vCenter Server database to install Update Manager. For more information about troubleshooting issues with database permissions, see Update Manager service fails to start and the errors 1920 and 27519 display (1007294).
- Verify that you are not using any non alpha-numeric passwords, and that no utilities or Windows permissions are preventing the installation from occurring. For more information, see VMware Update Manager Plug-in fails to Install (1003468).
- Verify that you do not have any incorrect settings in the ADAM database on your vCenter Server. For more information, see Installing VMware Update Manager fails with the error: Error 25085 (1024795).
Note: If the issue still exists after trying the steps in this article:
Gather the VMware Support Script Data. For more information, see Collecting diagnostic information for VMware products (1008524).
File a support request with VMware Support and note this KB Article ID in the problem description. For more information, see How to Submit a Support Request.
- VMware Update Manager Plug-In fails to install
- Update Manager service fails to start and reports errors 1920 and 27519
- Collecting diagnostic information for VMware products
- Installing VMware Update Manager fails with the error: Error 25085
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.