The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Connecting to VMware View desktops using RDP fails (1026786)
- Cannot connect to the VMware View desktop
- Connecting to the desktop using Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) fails
- Connecting to the desktop using PCoIP is successful
This issue occurs when the security group to which your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure users belong to does not include the Remote Desktop Users group in Active Directory and the users attempt to connect to a Windows desktop via RDP.
To resolve this issue, you must ensure that the users have the necessary access permission to use RDP by modifying the user or security group in Active Directory. You must also ensure that the virtual machine is accessible through RDP.
To modify the user or security group in Active Directory:
- Log in to your domain controller.
- Click Start > Run, type dsa.msc, and click OK. The Active Directory Users and Computers Management Console snap-in opens.
- Locate the Security Group in which your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure users are located.
- Right-click the group and click Properties.
- Click the Member Of tab.
- Click Add and add the group Remote Desktop Users.
- Click OK.
- Click OK to exit the Properties dialog of the Security Group.
- Close the Active Directory Users and Computers window.
Note: You can use this procedure to change the access permissions of an individual user also.
To ensure that the virtual machine is accessible through RDP:
- Log in to the virtual machine or the parent virtual machine as a domain administrator.
Note: To be able to access domain resources via Active Directory, you must log in as a domain administrator.
- Press the Windows Key + Pause/Break to open Windows System Properties.
- Click the Remote tab.
- Select Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
- Click Select Remote Users.
- Click Add.
- Add the Active Directory group name of the security group or user to which you have added the Remote Desktop Users group.
- Click OK to exit the Select Groups dialog.
- Click OK to exit the Remote Desktop Users dialog.
- Click OK to exit the System Properties dialog.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.