The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Creating a new Windows 7 or 8 virtual machine from an upgrade disk (1026670)
- You are unable to activate Windows 7 or 8.
- The product key does not work after installation.
- You see an error about an invalid product key.
- You are unable to upgrade a Windows XP virtual machine to Windows 8 due to an incompatible SCSI controller warning.
This article provides steps to create a new Windows 7 or Windows 8 virtual machine using the Windows 7 or Windows 8 upgrade disk and product key.
This is a legal method, assuming you already own a Windows license. For more information, see these Microsoft blog posts:
- Create a new virtual machine using Windows Easy Install. Ensure that you do not enter the product key on the Easy Install screen. For more information, see Installing Windows in a virtual machine using VMware Fusion Easy Install (1011677).
Note: Ensure that you select the correct version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 that you purchased, for example 32-bit or 64-bit, from the dropdown at the bottom. If you do not select the correct version, you cannot activate Windows.
Once the installation completes, Windows 7 or Windows 8 is installed in trial mode and must be activated within 30 days.
- Perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 or Windows 8:
- After installing Windows 7 or Windows 8, leave the installation disk in the drive.
- Go to Start > Computer.
- Double-click DVD-RW Drive (D:).
- Double-click Setup.
- Click Yes at the UAC Prompt.
- Click Install Now.
- Click Go online to get the latest updates for installation (recommended).
- Select I accept the license terms, then click Next.
- Click Upgrade.
- When the installation is complete, enter your upgrade key.
- When you log in for the first time, install VMware Tools by going to Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools.
- After the VMware Tools installation completes, restart the virtual machine.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of September 6, 2013. If you find the link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.