The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Starting View Composer service fails with the error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion (1024376)
- Unable to start View Composer service.
- Starting View Composer service fails.
- You see the error:
Cannot start View Composer Service.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
- In the Windows Event logs, you see entries similar to:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Time: 4:11:30 PM
Computer: < Computer name >
Description: The VMware View Composer service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 611 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 2000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
- Event Type: Error
Event Source: VMware View Composer Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Time: 4:08:59 PM
Computer: < Computer Name>
Description: Failed to perform VMware View Composer module initialization. VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.InvalidParameterException: Key container with name SviKeyContainer does not exist.
To resolve this issue:
- Ensure that the user account specified in the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) connection in your System Data Source Name (DSN) is able to connect to the ODBC datasource.
- Verify that the ODBC datasource connects properly.
- Log in to the SQL database and ensure that the SQL user account used for View Composer has dbowner, read, and write permissions.
- Ensure that the default database is the correct database for View Composer.
- Check the Composer log file for the following error:
 [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user '<Database Name>\<Database User>
If you see this error, uninstall View Composer and reinstall it using the existing database.
- Ensure to backup the database before uninstalling.
- Ensure that the service is run only using user accounts with administrator privileges.
For more information, see The View Composer service fails to start after the Composer DSN password is changed (1022526).
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.