Server Configuration Manager Collector service starts but immediately stops without errors (1023922)
- Server Configuration Manager (SCM / VCM) Collector service starts but immediately stops without errors.
- SCM / VCM Collector service will not remain started.
- SCM / VCM debug log contains errors similar to:
error converting IDENTITY to data type int.
This issue can be resolved immediately by truncating the debug event log tables using this SQL script:
USE SCMGOTRUNCATE TABLE ecm_dat_log_debug_eventGOUSE SCM_CollGOTRUNCATE TABLE ecm_dat_log_debug_eventGO
If you cannot truncate the logs because of active troubleshooting actions, you can reduce the table size by:
- Reducing the Debug Log retention time
- Manually purging the debug logs
The proceeding sections describe how to do each of these tasks. If the issue persists, file a support request with VMware Support and note this KB article ID in the problem description. For more information, see How to submit a support request.
Reducing the Debug Log retention time
- Navigate to Administration > Settings > Windows > Data Retention.
- Change the Debug Log setting to the default.
Note: The default debug log retention setting is 5 days. If the Debug Log retention setting has not been changed or is set to the default of 5 days, continue to the next section to purge the debug logs.
Manually purging the SCM / VCM debug logs
This issue may occur because the IDENTITY property of the debug event log table has increased to the limit of the INT data type (2,147,483,647). This issue can occur for these reasons:
- The debug event options are set to Exception, Error, Warning, and Info for the Collector and Database for a long period of time.
- The retention settings for Debug Log are set for a large number of days.