The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Cannot connect to the Client CD/DVD drive by using Passthrough IDE mode (1022010)
- Connecting to the Client CD/DVD drive using Passthrough IDE mode fails to work in vSphere Client.
- This issue may occur with the vSphere Client on 32 bit or 64 bit versions of the Windows Operating Systems.
- After connecting to a local CD/DVD, the Media connect dropdown menu for a Virtual machine stops responding at:
CD/DVD Drive 1 (Connecting...)screen.
This issue occurs if you do not have local Administrator access to the operating system running the vSphere Client.
To resolve this issue, ensure you have local administrator access.
To ensure you have local administrator access:
- Close the vSphere Client.
- Right-click the vSphere Client icon and click Run as Administrator.
- Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Click CD/DVD and change the device to Passthrough IDE.
- Power on the virtual machine and connect to the local CD/DVD drive.
- Select the virtual machine from the vSphere Client menu and Click Inventory > Virtual Machine > Guest > Send Ctrl+Alt+Del.
Note: The passthrough device can only be used on one virtual machine at a time.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.