The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
When using vCenter Converter the converter agent fails to install with an error (1021465)
- You receive this error when converting a remote machine using vCenter Converter Standalone:
Converter Standalone Agent installer/uninstaller failed on 'xxxxxxxxx'.
Note: Where xxxxxxxx is the IP address or hostname of the source machine being converted.
You receive this error when converting a remote machine using vCenter Converter:
Unable to complete installation/uninstallation of vCenter Converter agent on 'xxxxxxxx'Where xxxxxxxx is the IP address or hostname of the source machine being converted.
- In the vmware-converter-server-xx.log files (located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\), you see entries similar to:
info 'App'] [agentManager,83] [AgentManager] Install Agent on xxxxxxxxx
info 'App'] [agentDeploymentWin32,47] [AgentDeployment] Connect to ADMIN$ on xxxxxxxxx as xxxxxxxxx\administrator
info 'App'] [,0] SMB manager: Error connecting to share [\\xxxxxxxxx\ADMIN$]: 1385
error 'App'] [agentDeployment,366] [AgentDeployment] Deployment on xxxxxxxxx failed: Unspecified error in remote execution mechanism
error 'App'] [agentDeployment,158] [AgentDeployment] Install of Agent failed on xxxxxxxxx
error 'App'] [agentManager,106] [AgentManager] Install Agent failed: converter.fault.AgentDeploymentFault
This issue occurs when the vCenter Converter connection to the network share of the remote computer fails.
To resolve this issue, ensure that you can connect to the remote share.
To ensure that you can connect to the remote share:
- Ensure that you can you access the shared location on the remote computer.
- Ensure that the Server service is running on the source machine:
- Click Start > Run, type services.msc, and click OK.
- Locate the Server service in the services console and ensure the status is Started.
- If the service is not started, right-click on the service and click Start
- Disable any firewalls, User Access Control (UAC), or Simple File sharing on the remote Windows guest operating system. Consult the vCenter Converter Administration Guide for the list of necessary ports that are required to be open.
- Manually copy the Converter Agent Installer, VMware-Converter-Agent.exe (located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone), from the source computer to the remote computer and install the Converter agent.
- If the preceding steps do not resolve the issue, install the vCenter Converter Standalone utility on the remote computer and start the conversion from the remote computer.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.