The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Supported USB device models for passthrough from an ESX or ESXi host to a virtual machine (1021345)
Caution: Do not add unsupported or untested devices to your production servers. Unsupported or untested USB devices might not operate correctly or as expected, and can interfere with host or virtual machine operations. Before you add unsupported devices, carefully test them on your non-production servers.
USB Devices Supported for Passthrough from an ESX/ESXi Host to a Virtual Machine
||Vendor ID:Product ID
||Device Display Name|
|SafeNet Sentinel Software Protection Dongle (purple)
||Rainbow SafeNet Sentinel|
|SafeNet Sentinel Software Protection SuperPro Dongle (gray)
||Rainbow USB UltraPro|
|SecuTech Unikey Software Protection Dongle
||Future Devices HID UNIKEY|
|MAI KEYLOK II Software Protection Dongle
||Microcomputer Applications USB Device|
MAI KEYLOK Fortress Software Protection Dongle (designed to work only with Windows operating systems)
Note: This dongle is not designed for Linux systems. If you connect it to a Linux system, the connection resets frequently and can cause unexpected behavior.
|0471:485e||Philips KEYLOK Device|
|Aladdin HASP HL Drive||0529:0001 (13fe:1a00 Hub, 13fe:1d00 Drive)
||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21, Kingston drive|
|Aladdin HASP HL Basic Software Protection Dongle||0529:0001||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21|
|Aladdin HASP HL Pro Software Protection Dongle||0529:0001||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21|
|Aladdin HASP HL Max Software Protection Dongle||0529:0001||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21|
|Aladdin HASP HL Net Software Protection Dongle||0529:0001||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21|
|Aladdin HASP HL NetTime Software Protection Dongle||0529:0001||Aladdin Knowledge HASP HL 3.21|
|Kingston DataTraveler 101 II 4GB||0930:6545||Toshiba DT 101 II|
|Lexar JD FireFly 2GB||05dc:a701||Lexar Media JD FireFly|
|Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB 2.5 HDD||1058:0704||Western Digital External|
|Cables To Go USB 2.0 7-Port Hub Model# 29560
To find the Vendor ID and Product ID in windows virtual machine:
- Open the Device Manager and search for the USB device you want to find the ID for.
- Right-click the device and select Properties.
- Click the Details tab.
- Select Hardware Ids from the Property drop-down menu.
Using USB devices that are not included in the supported device listIf a USB device is not on the supported list, set up a test environment with ESX/ESXi hosts and virtual machines to replicate your production environment. Attach the USB device to the ESX/ESXi host and add it to the virtual machine. If the USB device operation works as expected, you can attach the USB device to a production ESX/ESXi host and virtual machine.
These USB devices are not available for passthrough:
- USB devices such as mice and keyboards that have a bootable HID interface.
- USB devices such as real time video cameras and audio devices that use isochronous data transfers.
- USB devices on which an ESXi host is installed. For more information, see VMware support for USB/SD devices used for installing VMware ESXi (1010574).
For details about configuring USB devices for passthrough from an ESX/ESXi host to a virtual machine, see USB support for ESX/ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x (1022290) or the Virtual Machine Administration Guide.
For HP Proliant servers experiencing issues with VMDirectPath, this is a known issue in VMware ESXi 5.1, Patch Release ESXi510-201307001 (2052143) and later. This issue is addressed in VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201501001 (2099265) and later. For more information, see the HP Advisory C03835455.
Note: To troubleshoot issues with USB devices, see Unable to add a USB device to a virtual machine (1039359).For translated versions of this article, see:
- Español: Modelos de dispositivos USB compatibles para el traspaso de un host ESX o ESXi a una máquina virtual (2016862)
- Português: Modelos de dispositivo USB suportados para passagem de um host ESX ou ESXi para uma máquina virtual (2046469)
- 日本語: ESX または ESXi ホストから仮想マシンへのパススルーのサポート対象 USB デバイス モデル (2080269)
- 简体中文: 在从 ESX 或 ESXi 主机直通虚拟机时支持使用的 USB 设备型号 (2088085)
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.