The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Assigning startup types to Windows services on the source virtual machine (1021028)
When you set up an import or export task for a virtual machine source that runs Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7 guest operating system, the Services settings do not appear in the Options list of the vCenter Converter wizard. Therefore, you cannot set Startup type of the services on the destination virtual machine.
This problem is observed when one or more services on the source virtual machine do not have a Startup type assigned.
The vCenter Converter worker log contains an error message similar to
Error 2 reading startType for xxx. In this error message,
xxxis the name of the first detected service with missing Startup type.
You must modify the registry of the source guest operating system to assign a startup type to each affected service.
- Power on the source virtual machine.
- Select the machine in the vSphere inventory and open a console.
- On the desktop of the virtual machine, create a *.reg file that contains the following text:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
XXXXXXstands for the name of a Windows service.
- Double-click the *.reg file to apply the changes for the selected service.
- Power off the virtual machine and try to convert it again.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.