The VMware Knowledge Base provides support solutions, error messages and troubleshooting guides
Using a network adapter only with the VMware Workstation guest virtual machine (1020359)
This article provides the steps to use network adapters only with VMware Workstation guest virtual machines.
Unlike USB devices, it is not possible to connect a host's network adapter directly to a guest virtual machine. However, you can use the network adapter of the host only with guest virtual machines.
To use a network adapter with only the guest virtual machine and to isolate the host, disassociate the network adapter from all protocols except the VMware Bridge protocol.
To disassociate the network adapter from all protocols except the VMware Bridge protocol:
- In the Windows host, open the network adapter settings within Control Panel:
- Windows XP: Go to Start > Control Panel and open Network Connections.
- Windows Vista or Windows 7: Go to Windows > Control Panel and open View network Status and Tasks > Change Adapter settings.
- Right-click the network adapter and click Properties.
- Deselect all protocols except VMware Bridge Protocol.
- Click OK.
The network adapter is now available in the Virtual Network Editor and is not used by the host. Virtual machines can use this adapter and the traffic does not have any effect on the host.
Request a Product Feature
To request a new product feature or to provide feedback on a VMware product, please visit the Request a Product Feature page.