Converting physical machines to virtual machines using VMware Workstation for Windows (1018406)
This article describes how to convert physical machines to virtual machines using VMware Workstation for Windows.
If you use Workstation for Linux, you must use VMware vCenter Converter, available from the VMware Download Center.
The steps vary based on your version of Workstation. Select the version of Workstation you have installed:
Workstation 8 uses vCenter Converter Standalone to convert physical machine as well as importing existing virtual machines. If not already installed, Workstation prompts you to install Converter the first time you use the conversion feature.
- To convert a physical machine to a virtual machine using Workstation:
- Launch Workstation.
- Go to File > Virtualize a Physical Machine:
- You are prompted to install vCenter Converter Standalone if it is not already installed. Follow the prompts to complete the installation. For more information, see Installing and upgrading vCenter Converter in VMware Workstation 8.x and 9.x (2005642).
- Once the installation completes, go to File > Virtualize a Physical Machine.
- Click Next.
- Enter the hostname or IP address of the physical machine, as well as the user name and password for the administrator account, then click Next.
- The physical machine must be powered on and have a password to proceed.
- User Account Control must be turned off. For information about UAC and Windows 7, see the Microsoft article What is User Account Control?. For instructions on disabling UAC on Windows 7, see the Microsoft article Guided Help: Adjust User Account Control settings in Windows 7. For information about UAC and Windows Vista (including instructions on disabling it), see Microsoft's article How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista.
Note: The preceding links were correct as of September 6, 2013. If you find that a link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- Choose the name and location where you would like to store the converted machine, click Next.
- Enter the user name and password for the account on the machine you have Workstation installed on.
- Click Finish.
- To verify that the conversion was successful:
- Go to File > Open and browse to the folder where the virtual machine files are stored.
- Select the
.vmxfile for the new virtual machine and click Open.
- Power on the virtual machine.
For more information on the conversion process, including troubleshooting any errors that may occur, see Converting a physical machine for Fusion, Workstation, or Player using Converter Standalone (2005129).
- Converting a physical machine for Fusion, Workstation, or Player using Converter Standalone
- Installing and upgrading vCenter Converter in VMware Workstation 8.x and 9.x
- Como converter máquinas físicas em máquinas virtuais usando o VMware Workstation para Windows
- Conversión de máquinas físicas a máquinas virtuales con VMware Workstation para Windows