Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine (1018194)
- Creating a quiesced snapshot fails.
- While taking a snapshot, you see the error:
Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine
- You experience this issue when you are doing a hot clone of a virtual machine. You see the error:
An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8449 (0x80042301)
- The vpxa.log file contains entries similar to:
Note: In VMware Infrastructure 3.x and vSphere 4.x, the log is located at /var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa. In vSphere 5.0, the log is located at /var/log.
2010-10-10T22:53:31.077Z [45EEEB90 info 'Default' opID=D1D8F924-00002337-83] [VpxLRO] -- ERROR task-768 -- -- vpxapi.VpxaService.createSnapshot: vim.fault.ApplicationQuiesceFault:
dynamicType = unset,
faultCause = (vmodl.MethodFault) null,
faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) [
dynamicType = unset,
key = "msg.snapshot.quiesce.vmerr",
arg = (vmodl.KeyAnyValue) [
dynamicType = unset,
key = "1",
value = "5",
dynamicType = unset,
key = "2",
value = "'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8449 (0x80042301)",
message = "The Guest OS has reported an error during quiescing.
--> The error code was: 5
--> The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8449 (0x80042301)
msg = "An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details."
--> Arg vmid:6
--> Arg name:"clone-temp-1286776661914351"
--> Arg description:
"This temporary snapshot is taken as part of the clone operation. The temporary snapshot will be deleted once the clone operation is complete."
--> Arg memory:false
--> Arg quiesce:true
- The vmware.log file of the virtual machine contains entries similar to:
2010-10-10T23:02:12.050Z| vcpu-3| [msg.snapshot.quiesce.vmerr] The Guest OS has reported an error during quiescing.
2010-10-10T23:02:12.050Z| vcpu-3| --> The error code was: 5
2010-10-10T23:02:12.050Z| vcpu-3| --> The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8449 (0x80042301)
Note: The preceding log excerpts are only examples. Date, time, and environmental variables may vary depending on your environment.
This issue also occurs if you try to create a quiesced snapshot on a virtual machine that does not have free space. That is, if the free space on the virtual machine is 0 bytes.
To resolve this issue, perform one of these options:
- Verify VSS, guest, and backup product configuration. For additional steps on troubleshooting VSS, see Troubleshooting Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) quiesce related issues (1007696).
- Reduce the amount of ongoing I/O to the virtual machine. This is accomplished using pre-freeze scripts or post-freeze scripts to quiesce application I/O. For more information, see:
- Opt for a crash-consistent snapshot (as opposed to application-consistent) of the virtual machine by avoiding quiescing of the file system.
If you do not want to quiesce the virtual machine during snapshot creation, there are several options. Choose one of these options, based on your environment:
- If you are using VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) or a backup product that relies upon the VCB framework, see Quiescing Mechanisms in the Virtual Machine Backup Guide.
Note: vSphere 5.x does not support VCB.
- If you are taking the snapshot manually in ESXi 5.x or ESXi/ESX 4.x, deselect the Quiesce guest file system option in the vSphere Client when you are taking the snapshot. In ESXi/ESX 3.5, it is not possible to take quiescent snapshots from the VMware Infrastructure Client.
- Consider stopping the application before the backup and restarting it using the
post-thawscripts which are a feature of VMware Tools. For more/related information, see the Running Custom Quiescing Scripts section of the Virtual Machine Backup Guide.
- If the snapshots are taken via the ESXi host using the
vim-cmdcommand, set the option of quiescing to 0.
To get a list of virtual machines and their VMID, run the command:
# vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms
To set the quiescing to 0, run the command:
# vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.create vmid [snapshotName] [snapshotDescription] [includeMemory] [quiesced]
For example, if a virtual machine named
testVMhas a VMID of
23, the command is:
# vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.create 23 "SnapName" "Snap Description" 0 0
- If the snapshots are taken via the ESX host terminal using the
vmware-cmdcommand, set the option of quiescing to 0.
Run this command to set quiescing to 0:
# vmware-cmd cfg createsnapshot name description quiesce memory
# vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/4adecc3a-62b367e8-5b15-001a4be960e0/VMname/VMname.vmx createsnapshot "Snap Name" "Snap Description" 0 0
- If you are using a third-party backup product that does not allow you to configure for non-quiescent snapshots, remove the VSS component from the Windows guest operating system, provided as part of VMware Tools. This results in VMware Tools attempting to use an older sync driver. When you request a quiescent snapshot, VMware Tools does not find and utilize the VSS driver and then attempts to quiesce using the sync driver. To reinstall VMware Tools without the VSS option:
- Uninstall VMware Tools.
- Allow the system to reboot.
- Reinstall VMware Tools. Ensure that you click Custom Install.
- Deselect VSS.
- This requires a reboot of the virtual machine. VMware recommends scheduling downtime before performing this action.
- With ESXi/ESX 4.1 and later, the option to deselect VSS and use the sync driver on Windows Server 2003 and later versions of Windows is no longer available. Any snapshot taken with the quiesce option uses VSS to quiesce the guest OS file system by default unless the Volume Shadow Copy service is disabled in the guest OS.
- After the installation, you are able to take a snapshot where the quiescing operation is not performed, even if specifically requested.
- Older versions of Windows and guests deployed prior to VMware ESX 3.5 Update 2, utilize the Sync Driver instead of VSS for quiescent snapshot requests.
- Microsoft does not support snapshots of Exchange servers. For more information on support for snapshots, see these Microsoft TechNet articles:
Note: The preceding links were correct as of October 01, 2015. If you find a link is broken, provide a feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- When using the Symantec NetBackup tool with virtual machines running Microsoft Exchange, consider using the Symantec VSS provider. For more information, see The Symantec VSS provider for VMware section of the NetBackup for VMware 7.1 Administrator's Guide. If VMware Tools was installed before the Symantec VSS, follow the NetBackup Admin Guide for information on uninstalling and reinstalling VMware Tools without the VMWare VSS. If you need to remove the Symantec VSS, contact Symantec for assistance with uninstalling/reinstalling the Symantec VSS service.
Note: The preceding link was correct as of October 01, 2015. If you find the link is broken, provide a feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- The issue occurs if any of the VSS writers are failing. Verify the list of writers before running the backup job and after the job is finished, verify if any VSS writer is failing. As the VSS writers are provided by third-party vendors, engage the vendor for any issues with them or to troubleshoot any failures of those writers.
- Enabling Windows 2008 application-consistent quiescing on ESXi/ESX 4.1 (1028881)
- Troubleshooting Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) quiesce related issues (1007696)
- Location of log files for VMware products (1021806)
- Español: No se pueden crear instantáneas en modo inactivo porque la operación de instantáneas ha excedido el límite de tiempo para mantener el I/O detenido en la máquina virtual congelada (2033113)
- Português: Não é possível criar um instantâneo desativado para novas sessões, pois a operação de instantâneos excedeu o tempo limite de permanência da E/S desativada na máquina virtual congelada (2032921)
- Não é possível criar um instantâneo desativado para novas sessões, pois a operação de instantâneos excedeu o tempo limite de permanência da E/S desativada na máquina virtual congelada (2032921)
- No se pueden crear instantáneas en modo inactivo porque la operación de instantáneas ha excedido el límite de tiempo para mantener el I/O detenido en la máquina virtual congelada (2033113)