Attempting to remove a host from the inventory when it is connected to vDS generates an error (1018181)
This error indicates that you are attempting to remove a host from the inventory that is connect to a vNetwork Distributed Switch (vDS). When the host is connected to a vDS, it cannot be removed from the inventory.
Ensure that the host is no longer connected to the vDS, then remove the host.
To ensure that the host is no longer connected to the vDS:
- Log in to vCenter Server using the vSphere Client.
- Right-click on the host and select Disconnect.
- Click Home > Inventory > Networking.
- Click on the vDS.
- Click Hosts.
- Right-click on the host, and click Remove from vDS.
- Click Home > Inventory > Hosts and Clusters.
- Right-click the host and select Remove.
- Re-add the same host back to the inventory.
- Re-connect the host back to the vDS.
Note: If the host is still connected to a portgroup, such as management, the portgroup must be migrated to another switch or deleted to allow removal from the vDS.